When making the investment in your home by switching to solar, you want to make sure you’re getting the right panels for your home. After all, investing in poor-quality panels could lead to more of a headache later on when you have to replace them or get them fixed (plus the added expense if they’re no longer covered under warranty.
While we here at SunPower by Sea Bright Solar believe our panels to be the best, we understand you want to know for yourself before making the investment. So to help, this blog will make things easy for you: here’s a direct head-to-head comparison of the SunPower Equinox™ solar panel system and an LG Composite system, boiled to the simplest results for your convenience.
- SunPower: SunPower is an American company, with headquarters right here in California! SunPower is exclusively dedicated to the solar business, so they’re constantly working on building better panels and other components to improve their system.
- LG: LG is a multi-billion dollar tech giant located in South Korea. While they’ve built their name in creating televisions, refrigerators, and other appliances for homes at reasonable prices, solar is just a small portion of their business that often receives little attention.
- SunPower: SunPower as a company earned the solar industry’s best score on the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition test, scoring 97 out of 100. The Equinox panel system scored a perfect 10/10 for both panel toxicity and emissions transparency surveys.
- LG: LG scored just 62 out of 100 on that same Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition test, and their composite panel system scored a zero out of ten on both the module toxicity and emissions transparency surveys.
- SunPower: The SunPower Equinox system is produced entirely by SunPower. Everything from the panel construction and inverter engineering to the development of our software that runs our inverters is produced directly by SunPower so you can be assured of a harmonious, simple, and hassle-free experience.
- LG: LG does not produce inverters, controllers, or other components; they just make solar panels. Finding the right inverter, software, and other components that will work correctly can be a challenge, and even then you may still run into issues of incompatibility or unexpected power loss over time.
- SunPower: SunPower is proud to produce some of the best-performing solar panels in the world, with the SunPower 370 module being rated for an industry-best 24.1% efficiency. They also hold up remarkably well in real-world applications, losing zero percent of their power in hot and cold cycling tests and just two percent in extreme humidity evaluations.
- LG: LG panels are rated for 21.1% efficiency out of the box, which is already a full 12 percent lower than the SunPower system. However, on top of that they lose as much as 2.5 percent of their power in hot and cold cycling tests, and as much as 20 percent of their power in high-humidity evaluations!
- SunPower: SunPower backs up your entire system with one, long-lasting, hassle free warranty. Everything from your panels to your inverter to your mounting hardware is all covered by one 25-year warranty. Plus, the warranty is directly from SunPower, so there are no third party companies to have to worry about.
- LG: The international tech giant’s warranties only cover their panels for up to 12 years. On top of that, you’ll need a total of four pass-through warranties in order to completely cover your full system in the same way a SunPower warranty covers you. That means lots of third parties and plenty of headaches trying to get repairs coordinated.
So in total, SunPower holds the following advantages over LG panels:
- Better design, durability, and reliability results in both lab tests and field reporting
- Up to 25% better panel efficiency
- 100% better power loss and efficiency retention in hot and cold cycling tests
- Ten times better power loss results in extreme humidity tests
- A single, comprehensive warranty for all components of your system
- 13 extra years of warranty coverage for your panels
- A manufacturer committed to environmentally-friendly practices, located right here in California!
When you put these two head-to-head, is there really even a competition?
To learn more about installing a SunPower solar panel system in your home, call SunPower by Sea Bright Solar today at (909) 480-3783 and speak with our Southern California solar panel experts today!