Every Earth Day, clean energy organizations and advocates spark a national conversation about the benefits of sustainable practices. Solar energy is one of these leading sources of renewable energy, and it benefits the environment in more ways than one. In fact, solar energy can reduce rising global temperatures and climate change, thanks to the lack of greenhouse gases emitted. While solar energy is an important way to take care of our planet, you can do your part in other unexpected ways.
- Don’t pre-rinse the dishes. Using water-saving techniques can save you money and reduces the amount of energy used to treat, pump, and heat water. One easy way to save water is by cutting out the pre-rinse before loading your dishwasher. On average, this saves 20 gallons of water per load.
- Don’t pre-heat your oven. You don’t always need to preheat your oven. Simply set it when you’re ready to start cooking. If possible, look through the door rather than opening it to check on the food.
- Enjoy a vegetarian day. You don’t have to give up meat forever, but one meat-free day a week can make all the difference. It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce just 1 pound of beef.
- Use less napkins. Do you really need that many napkins to clean yourself up? If everyone in the U.S. used one less napkin a day, it could save a billion pounds of space in landfills across the country.
- Recycle your newspapers. Nearly 44 million newspapers are thrown in the trash every day. If you recycle once a week, you could save half a million trees. Better yet, avoid newspapers and pay for an online subscription!
- Take a shower instead of a bath. Baths use approximately twice the amount of water a shower uses.
- Buy local products. Aside from supporting your community, purchasing local products saves all the pollution incurred by transporting goods long distance.
- Buy a travel mug. Less waste, less re-boiling and hot coffee for a longer period of time.
- Regularly maintain your car. You want your car in good shape, but ensuring it runs correctly also makes it more efficient on fuel, reducing pollution and saving you money.
- Don’t use coffee stirrers. Every year, 138 billion straws and stirrers are thrown away in the U.S. Not only are they bad for the environment, they are a waste of money. Use a spoon to stir your coffee, then wash it and reuse it.
- Use a professional car wash service. You may be trying to save money by washing your own car, but chances are you’re also wasting more water. Using a professional service ensures minimal water wastage. If everyone in the U.S. who washes their car used a car wash just once, it would save 8.7 billion gallons of water per year!
- Set up solar panels on your home. Even just a single 1kW solar panel installed on your house can prevent 170 pounds of coal from being burned, 300 pounds of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere, and 105 gallons of water from being consumed—every year.
If you’re considering going solar, it’s important to know about all of the financial and environmental benefits it has to offer. Since 2007, SunPower by Sea Bright Solar has provided California homes and businesses with expert panel installation and maintenance services. Ready to make the switch? Contact our Redlands solar panel installation experts today to discuss how much money you can save with solar panels.
Call (909) 480-3783 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation and speak with a Sea Bright Solar representative.